X Close


Sign up for go2HR's e-newsletters and receive job information and employer resources related to BC’s tourism and hospitality industry!

Print Print Print Print Print

Do International Students Need a Work Permit?

Question: I am a Manager in a hotel and have had a couple of foreign students who have recently graduated from a BC college or university tell me that they can come and work for me. All I need to do is to offer them a job and they will get a work permit. I have been turning these students away because I am reluctant to offer a job to someone who doesn’t already have a work permit and I’m not in a position to sponsor them through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program. Any suggestions?

Answer: Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)’s  Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) allows students who have graduated from an eligible BC post-secondary program to work for up to three years to obtain Canadian work experience. These students must apply for the PGWP within 90 days of graduating and have a valid study permit when they apply for their work permit. Applicants may even begin working full-time after submitting their PGWP application and while waiting for a decision, as long as they have a valid study permit, have completed their program of study, were eligible to work off-campus with a study permit and, did not work off-campus more than 20 hours per week during academic sessions. Permits are issued for varying terms, depending on the applicant’s educational program. The government will issue a work permit to a new graduate without the requirement of first having a job offer. This is good news for the new graduate and for the employer.  From the graduate’s perspective, he/she can apply for a PGWP and then go looking for a job. From your perspective the new graduate comes with the work permit already in hand and you do not need an LMIA to hire them.



This article may be republished for non-commercial purposes subject to the provisions of the Website Use Agreement. To republish this article, you must include the following notice along with the article: "Copyright © 2018 go2 Tourism HR Society. All Rights Reserved. Republished under license."