X Close


Sign up for go2HR's e-newsletters and receive job information and employer resources related to BC’s tourism and hospitality industry!

Print Print Print Print Print


Bartenders are beverage service attendants who mix and pour alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages for guests in bars, lounges, nightclubs, restaurants, on cruise ships and at events. Depending on the establishment in which they work, bartenders may serve the drinks they make, or they may give them to a food and beverage server, who serves them to the customer. Like most tourism occupations, bartending allows you to work with people and as part of a team. Bartenders usually receive gratuities, and may also receive meals or discounts on meals while at work.

  • Provide customer service
  • Prepare beverages using proper bartending techniques
  • Prepares common drinks, may also prepare drinks suggested by the patron 
  • Practice responsible alcohol service
  • Clean and maintain bar area and wash glassware
  • Maintain/control inventory of bar stock and supplies
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: 
  • Professional appearance and attitude
  • Must be legal drinking age
  • Customer service skills are required
  • Cash handling experience
  • Ability to multi-task
  • Knowledge of relevant laws and regulations
  • Product knowledge
  • A secondary school diploma is preferred
  • Courses in bartending are an asset 
  • Serving It Right is required
  • Safe food handling is required where applicable 
  • First aid is an asset
  • National Occupational Certification as a Bartender is an asset
Possible Future Career Paths: 
  • Head Bartender
  • Food and Beverage Service Supervisor
  • Beverage Services Manager
  • Assistant Manager
  • Manager
  • Owner/Operator

This article may be republished for non-commercial purposes subject to the provisions of the Website Use Agreement. To republish this article, you must include the following notice along with the article: "Copyright © 2018 go2 Tourism HR Society. All Rights Reserved. Republished under license."