X Close


Sign up for go2HR's e-newsletters and receive job information and employer resources related to BC’s tourism and hospitality industry!

Print Print Print Print Print

Legal Obligations

All employers in the British Columbia tourism and hospitality industry are legally required to:

Employers also need to understand the claims process and what you can do to assist an injured worker return to work safely. Compliance with the Workers Compensation Act and Occupational Health and Safety Regulation is also part of your responsibility as an employer; however, there are specific sections of the Act and the Regulation that are most relevant to the tourism and hospitality industry.

Why register with WorkSafeBC?

WorkSafeBC insurance coverage is a no-fault insurance system that protects both the employers who pay for it and the workers who receive benefits. WorkSafeBC insurance protects workers, employers, and their dependants from financial hardship in the event of a workplace injury or disease. Employers are protected from lengthy and costly lawsuits, and their workers are eligible for compensation benefits if they suffer a work-related injury or disease. If an employer fails to register, they could be fined and charged compensation costs if one of their employees becomes injured on the job.

WorkSafeBC also operates comprehensive injury prevention and injury management programs across the province to help promote health and safety in the workplace. In the event of work-related injuries or diseases, WorkSafeBC works with the affected parties to provide return-to-work rehabilitation, compensation, health care benefits, and a range of other services.

For more information, contact the go2HR Industry Health & Safety Team.

Related Links

This article may be republished for non-commercial purposes subject to the provisions of the Website Use Agreement. To republish this article, you must include the following notice along with the article: "Copyright © 2018 go2 Tourism HR Society. All Rights Reserved. Republished under license."