Chef de Partie – Bean There
- University of Victoria Students' Society
- Full Time |
- University of Victoria, Student Union Building, PO Box 3035 Victoria
- 1 position available
- Accessible Employer: Yes
- Open to International applicants with valid Canadian Work permits: No
1. Coordinates and oversees all operations of the Bean There Coffee Shop and it’s employees including ordering, restocking, preparation and selling of food and beverage products.
1. Reports to and is responsible to the General Manager through the Food Services Manager.
2. Works closely with the Food Services Manager, Sous Chefs, Chef de Parties, and the Purchasing Agent.
1. Founded in 1964, the University of Victoria Students’ Society (UVSS) is an incorporated membership based non-profit that is autonomous from the University and provides advocacy, services and events to all undergraduate students at UVic.
1. Supervise and completes overall food production, preparation and customer service within Bean There.
2. Provides day-to-day supervision and training of Bean There employees and is responsible for directing them in their daily routines.
3. Assist in scheduling employees, finding replacements for absent employees and assisting during busy periods where needed.
4. Participates in the ongoing development of daily work routines and how those routines relate to the other food service outlets.
5. Coordinates recipe/menu development and production routines for daily specials within the parameters established by the Food Services Manager.
6. Ensures proper appropriate food portioning, presentation, consistency, and quality controls.
7. Operates the point of sale system efficiently and accurately.
8. Communicates daily orders to the Purchasing Agent, researching and sourcing products as needed.
9. Conducts monthly inventory counts, reporting to the Purchasing Agent and Food Services Manager as needed.
10. Organize and clean cooking and storage areas and ensure relevant equipment is cleaned, maintained and in good working order.
11. Ensures staff compliance with all health, Worksafe BC, and fire regulations.
12. Ensures that all policies and procedures of the Division, the Society, and the Collective Agreement are adhered to.
13. Support relevant staff in navigating conflict and difficult and/or elevated customer interactions.
14. Contribute to Bean There’s business plan, ensuring it aligns with the UVSS Strategic Plan, in collaboration with the Food Services Manager and General Manager.
15. Ensure that Bean There is a safer space, in collaboration with the Food Services Manager.
16. Assist with developing and implementing marketing and promotions with the Food Services Manager and Graphics department.
17. Communicates with the Food Services Manager, Sous Chefs, and relevant Food Services staff about any problems or noteworthy points.
18. Performs other related duties as may be assigned by the Food Services Manager or General Manager.
Responsibilities & Qualifications
1. Minimum two years’ experience in high volume food service operations (e.g. hotel, institutional, catering, or fine dining).
2. Café/Barista experience.
3. Minimum two years’ experience supervising and training staff.
4. Demonstrated basic commercial kitchen skills, including food storage, treatment and rotation.
5. Experience with inventory control and management.
6. Experience leading menu/recipe development, in addition to a basic understanding of costing as it relates to menu planning.
7. Food Safe Level II certificate.
8. Experience handling large volumes of cash.
9. Demonstrated understanding of commercial food preparation techniques and experience with implementation and preparation of standardized recipes.
10. Commitment to a high standard of customer service.
11. Ability to work independently unsupervised and as part of a team.
12. Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
13. Strong attention to detail, organizational, prioritization and problem-solving skills.
1. Chef training from a recognized culinary institute.
2. Experience with POS systems.
3. Creative ability to come up with new recipes and menu items.
4. Experience working and/or managing in a unionized environment.
5. Demonstrated respect for various abilities, genders, sexualities and socioeconomic realities
~6am - 1pm Monday to Friday 35 hour week Great Health and Dental Pension Generous vacation time More details at https://uvss.ca/jobs/
SuperHost Foundations of Service Quality, SuperHost Service For All, Foundations of Workplace Safety (includes WHMIS), FOODSAFE Level 1 by Distance Education