- H.R. MacMillan Space Centre
- Not Applicable |
- 1100 Chestnut Street Vancouver
- 1 position available
- Accessible Employer: Yes
- Open to International applicants with valid Canadian Work permits: Yes
This is educational work in leading and delivering established interpretive programs for a variety of audiences at the HR MacMillan Space Centre and at off-site programs and special events. An Interpreter presents selected astronomy, space science and sustainability education programs and activities to children and adults, researching topics related to theme for integration into presentations, and tailoring the delivery for a particular audience. Interpreters may also provide input into the development of new programs and activities of a similar nature.
About H.R. MacMillan Space Centre
For over 50 years, the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre has been the main attraction for all and everything related to astronomy, space, and science. Here at the Space Centre, we merge art, culture, and science as vehicles to inspire others to learn about our universe through our programs/shows, activities, demonstrations and interactive exhibit experience. We are a relatively small-sized lean crew that emphasizes the quality of our service and ensures the customer experience is top quality.
Our Commitment to Employment Equity
• At the HR MacMillan Space Centre we sincerely believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) must be a part of how we function and operate as an organization. As such, were committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants regardless of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other identifiable characteristics are encouraged to apply for employment at the HR MacMillan Space Centre.
Responsibilities & Qualifications
Duties and Responsibilities
Include but are not limited to:
• Leads and delivers established interpretation programs for a variety of audiences such as families, adults, ESL, school (elementary and high school), community groups, and the general public.
• Researches topics related to theme for integration into presentations; tailors the delivery of a program or activity for a particular audience; plus provides input into the development of new programs and activities of a similar nature.
• Supports and promotes various programs and events by providing general information to visitors of the HR MacMillan Space Centre and to the general public at off-site locations.
• Leads established arts and craft activities for various programs, workshops and events.
• Assists with the set-up of items such as artifacts, objects and photographs for displays and demonstrations, and presents them to participants for examination and discussion; and answers routine questions regarding the objects.
• Designs and creates educational materials such as props, simple multimedia and hand-outs in support of programs.
• Prepares displays for special events.
• Assists with the care and maintenance of educational materials and supplies.
• Sets up and uses technology and equipment required to present established interpretative programs.
• Provides information and orientation to guests visiting the gallery.
• Performs related work as required.
• Completion of one year post-secondary education in astronomy, sciences, environmental education or a related subject plus some related experience in working with children, or an equivalent combination of training and experience is preferred.
• At least 1 year of prior museum or education-related experience is preferred.
• At least 1 year of prior experience in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Must be able to work in Canada.
• Must be able to communicate both written and verbally in English.
• Minimum of 16 years of age.
• Must be willing to work mornings, afternoons, evenings, overnights and weekends.
• Valid BC Class 5 driver’s license is preferred.
• OFA level 1 Certificate in First Aid is preferred.
12% in lieu of benefitsApply Now