Summer Snack Lab Staff
- Science World
- Part Time |
- 1455 Quebec Street Vancouver
- 4 position available
- Assessible Employer: Yes
- Open to International applicants with valid Canadian Work permits: Yes
Multiple Summer Openings
Option to Continue in the Fall
Part Time –15 to 30 hours per week
Position: Summer Snack Lab Staff
Reports to: Manager, Science Store
Science World is a BC-based charitable organization that engages the people of British Columbia in STEAM literacy. Our mission is to ignite wonder and empower dreams through science and nature.
Our people are our greatest asset. As part of our team, you will become part of a diverse community that acknowledges everyone’s unique talents and empowers people to do what is right for our visitors and each other. You will work in an environment where we believe in developing our employees and growing their strengths, while focusing on our values: Curious, Playful, Inclusive, Relevant and Collaborative.
Under the direction of the Manager, Science Store, this position will provide friendly and responsive visitor experience in the Snack Lab. Our ideal candidate has experience in exceeding visitor experience, is self-motivated, can work independently and is team-oriented, adaptable, and a strong multitasker.
You will assist and facilitate the implementation of safety and security procedures in the Snack Lab, work both independently and with other team members and departments. You will also sell, prepare and serve Snack Lab items, perform cleaning procedures, and provide product knowledge and merchandising.
This position offers approximately 15 to 30 hours per week in the summer months. This position also requires flexibility with regular weekend shifts, weekday shifts, and changing shift schedules as determined by operational needs.
As a facility, Science World is generally open to the public seven days a week, with some extended evening hours in the summer months. Typical office hours are Monday to Friday 8:30am – 5:30pm, with front-facing and operational teams also working a variety of shifts including weekends, holidays and evenings. Hours of work and other related requirements will be scheduled according to business needs and this may include special events on evenings, weekends and holidays.
Responsibilities & Qualifications
• Enhance our visitor experience by being helpful, welcoming, cheerful and attentive to visitor needs in the Snack Lab
• Enforce rules and regulations for visitors, ensuring proper health and safety protocols are followed
• Resolve concerns in a timely and professional manner when dealing with difficult situations, and demonstrate strong conflict resolution and troubleshooting skills
• Process sales in our cash register, Profitek POS Systems, accurately and efficiently
• Assist visitors with product selection by applying strong product knowledge to visitors
• Prepare and sell food and beverages in our Snack Lab
• Utilize tools and resources to facilitate learning in Science World
• Ensure the accurate and efficient processing of all daily cash and card transactions, and end of day reconciliation
• Assist with receiving stock, shelving, and displays
• Maintain tidiness and cleanliness in the Snack Lab by completing daily and monthly cleaning tasks
• Perform other related duties as required to fulfill any changing business needs of this role
• Previous experience in sales, visitor experience, retail, and cash-handling experience is considered an asset
• Must have speed and accuracy in handling cash for high volume sales
• Consistent availability that includes weekdays, weekends, including statutory holidays is preferred
• Independent, self-motivated, outgoing, organized and experienced in meeting and exceeding visitor needs
• Dependable, reliable, and flexible with problem-solving skills
• Excellent communication and visitor experience skills
• Responsive and respectful team player capable of working in a dynamic team environment and meeting and engaging with visitors of all ages
• Ability to work well under pressure and deal directly with the public
• Able to lift up to 10 kg to assist in receiving shipments
• Able to stand for a minimum of 5 hours
FOODSAFE Level 1 by Distance Education
Job Application Process
This is a unionized position represented by CUPE 1004 Do you feel you haven’t met every requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification in the job posting. Science World is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment so we strongly encourage you to apply even if you don’t believe you meet every single qualification outlined, as you may have transferable skills that would be an asset to our team. Please apply by Thursday June 1, 2023 via the Science World careers portal: http://scienceworld.ca/jobs Please upload a cover letter and a copy of your resume as part of your application * All offers are subject to satisfactory completion of reference and police criminal record checks. We would like to thank all candidates. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted *Apply Now