Tour Guide 1 – Revelstoke Dam Visitor Centre
- BC Hydro
- Part Time |
- Revelstoke, British Columbia, Canada
- 8 position available
- Accessible Employer: Yes
- Open to International applicants with valid Canadian Work permits: Yes
Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Tour Guide 1 – Revelstoke Dam Visitor Centre
Job Location: Revelstoke, British Columbia, Canada
Hourly Rate: $ 21.58 – 24.41
Powered by water… and by people like you
Providing clean electricity to 4 million customers takes a diverse workforce and that’s where you come in. We need your talent to help us build major projects to meet growing demand. To help our customers find clean energy solutions for their homes and businesses and to be ready to respond during storms and outages to keep our system reliable.
Working for BC Hydro is meaningful. And now, the stakes have been raised as we work towards a solution to climate change while safely providing clean, affordable electricity to our customers.
We offer a healthy work life balance, training opportunities and career progression. We’re proud to be ranked as one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. Join us as we build an even cleaner B.C.
* Greets visitors to the Visitor Centre as an ambassador of BC Hydro. Explains the self-guided tour or guided tour information. Answers questions about other tourism opportunities in the area and provides directions where possible.
* Provides guided tours following established tour content, tailoring content to meet the needs and interests of the assigned group. Explains how electricity is generated, discusses the history and construction of the generating station/dam, and provides information on BC Hydro’s current initiatives, services and programs, including environmental programs and local capital projects.
* Responds to non-routine enquiries and questions by sharing information with visitors, referring visitors to other resources within the organization where appropriate. Assists others over the phone or via email with enquiries about the Visitor Centre or general BC Hydro questions.
* Utilizes the Point of Sale (POS) system to process admission fees and retail purchases from the gift shop. Handles cash, counts daily intake, and completes end of day reporting. Trouble shoots problems with the POS system and escalates as required.
* Performs clerical duties such as filing, completing reports, answering telephones, checking safety equipment and supplies, and taking minutes at meetings.
* Performs duties of a minor nature related to the above duties which do not affect the rating of the job.
Responsibilities & Qualifications
* Partial completion of high school, plus some experience in customer service, public speaking, giving presentations and/or leading groups. Completion of in-house training program upon hire.
This position is affiliated with the Movement of United Professionals union (MoveUP/COPE). http://moveuptogether.ca
This offer is for a position that is covered under MOU#83 of the Collective Agreement between MoveUp, Local 378 and BC Hydro.
BC Hydro’s Visitor Centres educate visitors on hydroelectricity, electrical safety, energy conservation, and the regional history of BC Hydro. Tour Guides play an important role in providing a positive educational experience.
Our ideal candidates for Tour Guide jobs at the Revelstoke Dam Visitor Centre would have an interest in electricity, customer service, travel / tourism, as well as a zest for learning and an ability to translate these learnings to our visitors. As a Tour Guide, you act as an ambassador for our company and are a primary resource for sharing knowledge on how electricity is generated, the history and construction of the facility, and BC Hydro’s current initiatives, services and programs, including environmental programs and local capital projects.
* This is a casual temporary employment opportunity starting April 29, 2024 and ending September 2, 2024.
* Hours vary depending on candidate availability, visitor centre hours, and scheduled tours. Typically, successful candidates are scheduled to work 20 to 30 hours per week. Schedules are shared in advance.
* The Revelstoke Dam Visitor Centre is located on Highway 23 North in Revelstoke, B.C.
* The Visitor Centre is open weekdays, weekends and holidays during the season. The successful incumbent must be available to work on weekends and holidays.
* Please note that public transit does not serve this location.
* Candidates who are familiar with the local community and Visitor Centre is considered an asset.
* Ideal candidates will have a basic knowledge of the operation, construction practices and systems/equipment involved in a generating station, or will quickly acquire this knowledge upon starting employment. An interest in the environment and history is also considered an asset.
* Completion of an in-house training program is required upon hire.
* Tour Guides earn an hourly wage of approx. $25. This hourly rate is a combination of the hourly wage ($21.58 / hr) plus an additional percentage of 17.58% in lieu of benefits. Tour Guides may be eligible to receive a stipend of $200 per month payable at the end of the completed contract in accordance with MOU#83.
** To learn more about our visitor centres, please visit www.bchydro.com/revelstoke
* Majority of time spent on feet and may be exposed to unpleasant sections and areas within the generating station.
Location: Revelstoke, British Columbia, Canada, V0E 2S0
21.58 - 24.41
Job Application Process
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by February 11, 2024. Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs. You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site. On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable. We’re always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It’s an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow. Our values guide our work. Want to join us? We are safe. We are here for our customers. We are one team. We include everyone. We act with integrity and respect. We are forward thinking. BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer. We include everyone. We welcome applications from anyone, including members of visible minorities, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. We are also happy to provide reasonable accommodations throughout the selection process and while working at BC Hydro. If you require support applying online because you are a person with a disability, please contact us at Recruitmenthelp@BCHydro.com Flexible work model role definitions =========================== Our four role types identify the degree of flexibility an employee could have to work from home based on the type of work they do. The flexibility for an individual job is up to the manager for each position and the operational requirements. Employees also have the right to work full-time from the office if they prefer. All of our roles require at least some in-person time. IBEW/Field – No option to work from home Resident – Works primarily (4+ days per week) in the office. Hybrid – May be able to work from home up to 3 days per week. Remote – Works from home 4+ days per weekApply Now