If you are looking for an outdoor adventure position where your ideas matter read on.
Start date: As early as May 1st to as late as June 26
End date: Late August to no later than Oct 15th
Schedule: 4 days on 3 days off 10 hour shifts. Part time staff schedule will vary based on business levels.
Guides usually work waterfront or transport positions as well to get full time hours.
Job Description; To oversee aspects of our boat operation located at Lakeside Park, Alta Lake, Whistler BC. Guide guests in Canoes and Kayaks on the River of Golden Dreams, Alta and Green Lakes, Waterfront Operations, Ensure that all guests departing are outfitted with proper equipment, instruct guests in the proper use of equipment and provide orientation of trip routes to guests. Transportation crew, Ensure guests and staff get to and from our operations. Fix equipment, liaison with field staff.
Ensuring and maintaining a level of safety for the duration of all activities that will adhere to regulated standards and exceed customer’s expectations. To ensure that all guests experiences are as safe and enjoyable as possible. To provide assistance where possible to official minority language guests and staff and Service Canada local priorities. These goals are achieved through the conscientious application of the highest standard with the monitoring of staff decisions and actions that occur prior, during and after each activity.
– Insure guests are properly outfitted for the trip they are embarking on.
– Provide guests with an orientation of the trip they embarking on including safety briefings.
– Insure Backroads equipment is appropriate for staff/guides/guests needs
– Help manage inventory and monitor wear and tear of goods
– Fix equipment when required
– Ensures that all equipment required for the tour or rental is onsite & ready to go on time
– Communicate verbally and via VHF radio to field staff and or dispatch hub
– Complete an Incident Report whenever an incident occurs.
– Obtaining feedback from fellow staff, guides and guests (verbal or written)
– Develop a solid clientele that would result in customer loyalty & word of mouth marketing
– Effective time management and management of yourself and others
– Polite and helpful to all our clientele and staff
– Conducts and participates in training, both maintaining a personal current level of skill and/or to improve in an area which one might require more knowledge or skills
– General “house” cleaning obligations both in and out of the Concession building, Park grounds, washrooms and vehicles
– Coordinates successful trip departures and drop offs
– Presents Release and Liability Waivers.
– Is able to effectively teach paddling skills to guests on and off the water
– Effectively and safely guide guests on our waterways
– May be able to operate our assist vessel, in a safe and lawful manner.
– May be able to rescue guests/staff or the general public if called upon
– Other job related duties as required
Specific Skill Requirements:
Guides/Waterfront staff are people who are an assertive and confident decision maker with great reserves of mental, physical strength and experience!
– Provides a safe and enjoyable tour, enforces industry standards such as wearing a PFD
– May obtain by summer season BC Class Four Drivers License.
– Rent canoes, kayaks, Stand Up Paddle boards, pedal boats
– Decision Making Skills ~ the ability to understand the importance of a correct decision in an environment filled with variables over which control is limited
– Safety skills before, during and after all guided tours and rentals
– Ability to Multi task and to assign tasks to others
– Organizational Skills and Strong analytical skills
– Flexible Leadership styles and skills to help deal with others
– Ability to react quickly and effectively and without bias
– Ability to listen to feedback both from fellow staff, guides and guests
– Excellent communication skills with the ability to listen and respond with tact and diplomacy
– Professional Ethics, groomed to Backroads’ Whistler standards
– Problem Solving Skills-Avoids conflict
– Has or obtains First Aid course (minimum of 16 hours)
– Has or obtains canoe and kayak instructor/guide certifications
– Has or obtains Canadian Power Boat operator’s certification.
– Is strong, fit and able to lift heavy loads in a safe manner.
– Can guide guests safely and successfully on all of our routes.
– May be able to safely and effectively pull and back up trailers during operations
– Can safely and effectively load, unload and secure equipment onto trailers
– Other duties as they arise.
– Works closely with others, possibility of monitoring other staff and guides
– Flexible working hours (can be long)
– Work changes frequently, fast paced, lots of surprises
– Physical movement of equipment and guests
– Moments of tight deadlines and high pressure
– Mountain weather patterns can be unpredictable (rain, snow, wind, sun)
– Ability to cope with glacier fed lakes, rivers, creeks.
– Maintains equipment (i.e.: boats, gas, log-books, trailers, safety…etc)
– May be able to work in store, operate Concession, drive buses, and tow trailers.
Qualifications: We can teach you the hard skills, you come to us as a good team member that can demonstrate enthusiasm in the workplace.
Education: Our Guides, Waterfront and Transportation crew want to work around the water. They should have knowledge of the outdoor industry either through hands on knowledge and or formal school training at a recognized adventure tourism school.
Resume Instructions: Send your resume, with salary expectations to:
Eric Wight, President Email: Eric@backroadswhistler.com
Backroads Whistler PO Box 643 Whistler, BC V0N1B0.
APPLY NOW! • CANOE/KAYAK GUIDE, WATERFRONT OPERATIONS, TRANSPORTATION CREW. SUMMER 2019 • Backroads Whistler
Post Date: February 12, 2019 Deadline for Application: May 15, 2019
3375 Lakeside Road Lakeside Park
Backroads Whistler is Whistler’s longest running adventure company. Started in 1985 we now offer Canoe and Kayak excursions on the River of Golden Dreams, as well as human powered boat rentals on Alta Lake.
We are an inbound soft adventure receptive tour operator providing eco-friendly summer activities for groups and individuals coming to Whistler Resort,
For more information please see our web site at www.backroadswhistler.com or www.RiverOfGoldenDreams.com