The Director of Food & Beverage provides strategic direction and leadership for Ocean Wise’s food and beverage (F&B) services, located at the Vancouver Aquarium. The Aquarium’s expanded space includes new concession spaces, kitchen and significantly more event spaces facilitating revenue growth opportunities, the results of which support our research, conservation and education programs and ultimately our mission.
The Director of Food & Beverage will be responsible for the overall F&B planning, budget and associated services. The position will lead, direct, and oversee the management of the culinary, concession and events teams to ensure services are effectively delivered through successful collaboration, while ensuring budget targets are achieved. They are ultimately responsible for ensuring that all activities and interactions conducted by all Food & Beverage (F&B) employees meet the expectations of a superior guest experience with both internal and external customers.
Candidates who are offered employment will be subject to a criminal background check.
Proactively and profitably leads, directs and oversees multiple concession outlets, food quality and cost, and numerous catered functions (both internal and external) and the overall management of F&B operations by:
- Leading the planning, development and delivery of all Ocean Wise F&B services including operational planning and expenditures, budgeting, costing, P&L, and maintaining proper inventory levels;
- Providing energetic leadership to the management team with a focus on delivering a quality dining experience for all types of guests;
- Ensuring strong client relationships and customer satisfaction are fostered and maintained;
- Ensuring that the various day to day food service functions are consistently run seamlessly and in an exemplary fashion;
- Collaborating with Marketing department to develop and implement new strategies and programs promoting the facility and events;
- Sustaining growth in both sales and profit and striving to exceed targets; and
- Ensuring all areas remain in strict compliance with Ocean Wise’s licenses and permits, building code regulations, Health and Safety Program, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Food Safe, Serving it Right and WHMIS regulations.
Proactively manages the financial success of the food and beverage purchases and sales by:
- Monitoring adherence to budget targets, forecasting revenue projections and reporting regularly to the SVP, Business and CFO with management reports, financial updates, recommendations and action plans;
- Guiding Food and Beverage Managers during the budgeting process to ensure methods and formats used are consistent and to ensure deadlines are met;
- Ensuring departmental goals are reflected in various cost centres and are consistent with organizational guidelines;
- Working within the POS system to ensure accurate and up-to-date reporting and forecasting;
- Developing and/or reviewing protocols to guide interaction between the Food and Beverage department and outside vendors while ensuring adherence to the organization’s Sustainable Purchasing Policy;
- Making suggestions to the Executive Chef and purchasing department to identify ways to improve profit margins through vendor negotiation, inventory management, market research, and best practice buying; and
- Overseeing the maintenance of inventory control systems.
Reinforces the Vancouver Aquarium organizational strategy and provides direction on F&B strategy, plans, and objectives for direct reports and extended team members by:
- Describing, clarifying and providing direction on key organizational strategies to Direct Reports and extended team members as they formulate goals and tactical strategies;
- Encouraging Direct Reports to continually assess operational and/or efficiency opportunities, and provide recommendations for improvement aligned with organization and F&B strategies;
- Proactively identifying internal or external conditions that may impact organization results and suggesting to senior management any recommended changes in organization priority, tactics, policies, etc, ensuring any agreed upon changes in strategy are implemented and communicated to all team members in a timely manner to achieve organization objectives; and
- Collaborating with other Director and senior management colleagues to ensure collaboration across the organization while assessing risk, profitability, and ROI while identifying and recommending possible changes in policies and/or operating procedures.
Influences and controls the organization objectives of the F&B department(s) ensuring constant communication and operational effectiveness by:
- Providing effective coordination of and direction to all Direct Reports and extended team members in meeting operational requirements and the use of sound judgment;
- Managing the department budget and ensuring profit targets are on track;
- Leveraging staffing resources to improve the fiscal standing of the services offered;
- Obtaining continuous feedback from Department Managers on barriers to achieving mission based activities, productivity, operational efficiency, and/or service levels;
- Identifying opportunities to enhance communication within and across department(s) to ensure a common drive and focus on the desired goals;
- Championing organizational changes that support mission based activities, efficient operations and meet service standards to internal and external customers.
- Ensuring compliance with relevant organization policies and processes including environmental management (EMS), Health & Safety policies, human resources, purchasing, etc. ;
- Performing periodic reviews of department(s) activities approved by managers to ensure good quality decisions are being made;
- Reviewing and approving time and attendance for direct reports and oversight on indirect reports prior to established deadlines.
Provides management, coaching and mentoring to Direct Reports and contributes to and fosters the development of the team by:
- Creating an environment conducive to individual development, productivity, and achievement while ensuring open lines of communication;
- Ensuring that employees are well organized, sufficiently trained/cross-trained to perform their responsibilities, developed to their potential and deployed in a manner that permits a cost-effective operation;
- Planning and facilitating individual touch bases, group touch bases, and skill-building sessions where appropriate;
- Providing direction, guidance and support to team members and motivating staff to achieve a high level of performance and productivity;
- Establishing performance objectives/goals, reviewing progress throughout the year, and completing formal performance reviews for direct reports as required;
- Recognizing and rewarding success, and managing poor performance;
- Developing and obtaining agreement on development plans for all direct reports, recommending training courses and seminars where appropriate; and
- Recruiting, hiring and promoting team members in accordance with standard Ocean Wise policies.