An award winning non-profit social enterprise and registered charity, the mission of Potluck Café Society is to transform lives by creating jobs with on-the-job training for people facing barriers to traditional employment and improving access to healthy food for people living in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside (DTES).
Potluck was founded in 2001 to help end the cycle of poverty in the Downtown Eastside community and address the needs of its most nutritionally vulnerable residents through solutions that promote employment and nutrition. Potluck works to create an inclusive and healthy neighbourhood through grassroots community economic development.
Potluck Café Society owns and operates Potluck Café & Catering to earn revenue to support our community programs and to provide employment opportunities in the Downtown Eastside. Fundraising, donations and grants comprise the balance of our funding requirements. Potluck is widely regarded as a social enterprise leader in Vancouver and abroad. Learn more about Potluck at potluckcatering.org and facebook.com/potluckcafe
The Opportunity – Executive Director
After 17 years in its current location on the ground floor of the Portland Hotel, Potluck has outgrown the capacity of its existing space, and is looking to re-locate by spring 2020, in order to provide the opportunity for our programs, services, and catering business to grow.
We are seeking a driven, innovative and experienced Executive Director to provide strong leadership to our team of over 30 staff, and to drive the organization’s search for a new home. The ideal candidate has a strong background in fund development, has been involved in a facility move or business expansion, and feels passionate about inclusive employment.
Position: Executive Director – Potluck Café Society
Reporting to: Potluck Café Society Board of Directors
Summary of Responsibilities:
• Lead the organization through the search and transition to a new operating location
• Drive fund development and donor relations by developing and executing a comprehensive fundraising strategy
• Successfully develop and steward major gift prospects
• Oversee day-to-day operations of Potluck Café Society
• Provide executive support to the management of Potluck Café and Catering
• Ensure financial sustainability of the organization
• Ensure mission impact of the organization in both the Society and the Catering business
• Hire, train, manage, and motivate Society staff and volunteers
• Build strong collaborative working relationships with internal and external stakeholders – employees, board members, partners, funders, and other organizations
• Act as the primary spokesperson and face of the organization
• In conjunction with the Board, ensure the integrity of the Society’s charitable mandate and actively participate in strategic and long-term planning for Potluck
· Hands-on leader with a minimum of 5 to 8 years non-profit or charity leadership experience, preferably in social enterprise
· Experience navigating business growth and financing
· Interest in creating employment for people facing barriers, food security, and in the well-being of the existing DTES community
· Entrepreneurial with social enterprise or community economic development experience (or both) an asset
· Demonstrated knowledge of all facets of operating businesses and non-profits
· Demonstrated experience in building community impact programs
· Post-secondary qualification in business administration or equivalent, MBA is an asset
· Strong communication skills
· Fund development experience
· Collaborative with the ability to develop and maintain effective relationships
· Knowledge of community, political and socioeconomic issues, especially those affecting the DTES and Indigenous peoples.
Please send your resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.APPLY NOW! • EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR • Potluck Cafe & Catering
Post Date: January 12, 2019 Deadline for Application: January 31, 2019
30 West Hastings Street
Potluck Cafe & Catering is an innovative and respected social enterprise operating in the heart of the Downtown Eastside serving hundreds of corporate, government, and non-profit catering clients in Vancouver, in addition to providing vital community programs in the Downtown Eastside.