British Columbia is the kingdom of abundance. Where glaciated mountains stand over an unruly Pacific. Rainforests wrap cities. Nature shapes culture. The wild breathing life back into the wild within.
Through inspirational storytelling and an industry-leading digital marketing strategy, Destination British Columbia engages global explorers, connecting them to a place still wild.
At Destination British Columbia we are a team of collaborative, insight-driven, results-focussed marketers. We are recognized globally for our strong, authentic brand, award-winning creative and leading-edge strategy. We work hard, support each other unreservedly, and consider it a privilege to educate travellers about the spectacular province we call home
Destination BC is an inclusive workplace founded on the highest degree of collaboration and innovation. Destination BC believes that diversity is strength and welcomes applications from all qualified job seekers. If you are an applicant with a disability, we are committed to ensuring workplace accommodations are in place to enable you to do your best work.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Research and Analytics team is a strategic business unit responsible for building Destination BC and the tourism industry’s knowledge base by collecting intelligence, analysing trends and sharing insights; supporting strategic planning and decision-making, performance management and accountability at Destination BC and for the tourism industry. Using smart analytics and strategic insights, the Research and Analytics team drives how Destination BC develops and markets British Columbia as a top tourism destination to new and current guests.
Reporting to the Director, Research and Analytics, the Manager, Research and Analytics fulfils a broad range of accountabilities with considerable independence and discretion. Internally, these accountabilities include: managing the development and execution of the Research and Analytics team’s annual business plan, managing and mentoring the Research and Analytics team, managing the implementation of research and analytics projects and initiatives to support Destination BC’s Data & Analytics Strategy, and leading strategic corporate initiatives as required. Externally, the Manager collaborates with industry partners, government agencies and other tourism organizations across the country to enhance the effectiveness of research and insights for the industry.
- Manages the development and execution of the Research and Analytics team’s annual business plan.
- Manages the collection, analyses, and dissemination of timely, accurate, and relevant information (e.g. market and consumer trends, economic and tourism industry outlook, business activity performance) to Destination BC’s program areas and the tourism industry to facilitate effective business, marketing and investment decisions.
- Leads the development and implementation of performance measurement and evaluation processes for Destination BC program areas (in particular, the Destination Management division).
- Manages the implementation of research and analytics projects and initiatives to support Destination BC’s Data & Analytics Strategy to become an insights-driven organization.
- Leads learning and development initiatives to promote the Research team and Destination BC’s data and analytical maturity (e.g. improving data literacy and analytical capabilities).
- Supports and participates in Destination BC’s corporate and divisional strategic planning initiatives.
- Leads and manages projects of other areas of the Corporate Development division (Corporate Planning and Reporting, HR, Corporate Communications), time permitting.
- Builds and manages relationships with the British Columbia tourism industry, Destination Canada, government stakeholders and related public and private sector agencies and businesses; utilizing exceptional relationship-building and communication skills to build partnership, secure support and participation in research and analytics programs, and gain access to data sources and insights.
- Manages and ensures research and analytics programs meet and exceed the highest ethical standards, best practices, maintain confidentiality and data security, and ultimately uphold the reputation of Destination BC and the Government of BC.
- Maintains organized, accurate and detailed plans, reports and budgets, meeting financial and reporting requirements, and works with corporate financial policy, processes and procedures, contracts and financial systems; as required, develops and negotiates contracts, evaluates contractor performance to ensure value for money as well as timely delivery of product.
- Provides mentoring and coaching for staff and implements performance management, career growth, succession planning, recognition, employee development and other human resource initiatives.
- Manages internal and external financial and human resources including directing regular, auxiliary and contracted staff with responsibility for hiring/promoting/ dismissing, authorizing overtime and representing management in the grievance process at Step 2.
- Building Team Orientation: involves knowledge and skills in developing group identity, participative decision making and open and effective communication.
- Change Management is the ability to support a change initiative that has been mandated within the organization. It involves helping the organization's members understand what the change means to them and providing the ongoing guidance and support that will maintain enthusiasm and commitment to the change process. People with this competency willingly embrace and champion change. They take advantage of every opportunity to explain their vision of the future to others and gain their buy-in.
- Developing Others involves a genuine intent to foster the long-term learning or development of others through coaching, managing performance and mentoring. Its focus is on developmental intent and effect rather than on a formal role of training. For this competency to be considered, the individual's actions should be driven by a genuine desire to develop others, rather than by a need to transfer adequate skills to complete tasks.
- Business Acumen is the ability to understand the business implications of decisions and the ability to strive to improve organizational performance. It requires an awareness of business issues, processes and outcomes as they impact the client's and the organization's business needs.
- Problem Solving/Judgement is the ability to analyze problems systematically, organize information, identify key factors, identify underlying causes and generate solutions.
- Building Partnerships with Stakeholders: is the ability to build long-term or on-going relationships with stakeholders (e.g. someone who shares an interest in what you are doing). This type of relationship is often quite deliberate and is typically focused on the way the relationship is conducted. Implicit in this competency is demonstrating a respect for and stating positive expectations of the stakeholder.