Hiring International Mobile Young Workers: LMIAs Not Required

Hiring international mobile youth is a good alternative to address your labour needs. The Canadian government has bilateral reciprocal agreements with  countries around the world to allow exchange of youth to work and/or study abroad. There are three types of work permits for international young workers: Working Holiday Program (WHP), Young Professional (YP) and International Co-op.

These work permits do not require a Labour Market Impact Assessment. Youth can apply directly for a work permit online without any of your involvement. Many tourism employers have recruited staff, especially for seasonal positions, using one of the youth mobility programs and have enjoyed the benefits and convenience of these programs.

Terms and conditions vary depending on the country of origin. For a description of the permit types, click here.

Applicants must first enter some background information into an online portal, to create their profile. Once submitted, they will remain in the pool of applicants. If chosen and offered one of the quota spaces for their country of nationality, they will be sent an Invitation to Apply (ITA). The applicant has 10 days to accept the ITA, and then 20 days to submit their application online for the work permit.

Each country has a specific quota for how many work permits they can issue in a given year. The ‘pool’ typically opens to applicants the fall prior to the year the applicant would apply for. Youth interested in this program can check the pool opening dates, draws and quota numbers on IRCC’s website.  Rules and requirements by country, can be found here.

Information provided by Katie Van Nostrand, an employment lawyer with Mathews Dinsdale & Clark LLP. The information provided in this article is necessarily of a general nature and must not be regarded as legal advice. For more information about Mathews Dinsdale & Clark LLP, please visit www.mathewsdinsdale.com.