February 1, 2018
On Jan. 30, six teams of post-secondary students from the Vancouver, Coast and Mountains region competed in the Winning Pitch regional competition. The Winning Pitch, hosted by go2HR, is a case competition where post-secondary students apply their strategic thinking to come up with a new tourism business or service idea based on a local, realistic scenario to support the destination development in each host region. This year, teams were asked to develop and pitch a new product or service that supports the development of shoulder- or off-season tourism opportunities in the Vancouver, Coast and Mountains region. The regional competition was held at the Vancouver Convention Centre.
BCIT team #1, made up of students Kelsey Acres, Melissa Long, Mandy McArthur, and Daniella Potesta, took home First Place with their proposal of “Lakes and Land Cultural Adventures”. They will move on to pitch their plan at the provincial finals during the 2018 Tourism Industry Conference in Kelowna. Congratulations!
The team from Douglas College with members Vu Nguyen Khanh, Thi Hau Nguyen, Carla Ribeiro Pedrosa, and Heajun Yoon took runner-up.
Team Capilano University went home with second runner-up. The team members include Carmen Chan, Hailey Pinker, and Jennifer Vaughan.
The other three competing teams include:
- Canadian Tourism College: Alex Devison, Arturo Garcia, Huan Huang, and Danielle Marie Rogal.
- Vancouver Community College: Rachelle Cajucom, Sohee Park, Carolina Schultz, and Maryana Tondo.
- BCIT team #2: Annabelle Almonte, Victor Ma, Dorsa Mojtabavi, and Noel Arthur Raymundo.
We want to thank our regional judges:
- Michael Pye, General Manager, Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
- Eda Koot, General Manager, Pacific Gateway Hotel
- Nikki Bailey, Freelance Journalist
- Alison MacKay, Manager, Destination Development, Destination BC
To learn more about The Winning Pitch, click here.