March 5, 2019
Until March 31, British Columbians are invited to share their views before government makes changes to BC’s Employment Standards Act.
To reflect modern workplaces and to ensure that employment standards are evenly applied and enforced, the Ministry of Labour intends to make changes to the act as early as this spring.
The Ministry of Labour wants to hear from the public on the first areas of focus under consideration. A consultation paper outlines six themes:
- Theme 1 – Increasing protection of child workers
- Theme 2 – Transforming the Employment Standards Branch
- Theme 3 – Supporting families through difficult times with job-protected leaves of absence
- Theme 4 – Strengthening workers’ ability to recover wages/monies owed
- Theme 5 – Clarifying hours of work and overtime standards
- Theme 6 – Improving fairness for terminated workers
For more information about how to participate, visit: https://engage.gov.bc.ca/govtogetherbc/consultation/modernizing-the-employment-standards-act/
Read more in the BC government press release here.