February 5, 2018
Three teams of post-secondary students from the Vancouver Island region competed in the Winning Pitch regional competition on Feb. 3, 2018. The Winning Pitch, hosted by go2HR, is a case competition where post-secondary students apply their strategic thinking to come up with a new tourism business or service idea based on a local, realistic scenario to support the destination development in each host region. This year, teams were asked to develop and pitch a new product or service that supports the development of shoulder- or off-season tourism opportunities in the Vancouver Island region. The regional competition was held at Vancouver Island University.
VIU Power Team, made up of students Melody Kostamo, Julianna Tomaselli, and Crystal (Yunyi) Huang, took home First Place with their proposal of “Nanaimo Bar Festival”. They will move on to pitch their plan at the provincial finals during the 2018 Tourism Industry Conference in Kelowna. Congratulations!
The other two competing teams include:
- Team Empress (Royal Roads University): Chiaki Komiya, Tran Le, Terrence Luk.
- Overhead Adventurez (Vancouver Island University): Sara Fulla and Edward Nathanson.
Videos of all the teams’ pitches will be available on our Youtube channel shortly.
Thank you to our regional judges:
- Angie Barnard, Founder, Thrive Junction
- Kim Burden, Executive Director, Parksville & District Chamber of Commerce
- Anthony Everett, President & CEO, Tourism Vancouver Island
To learn more about The Winning Pitch, click here.