X Close


Sign up for go2HR's e-newsletters and receive job information and employer resources related to BC’s tourism and hospitality industry!

Print Print Print Print Print

Apprentice's Role and Responsibilities

Once you have chosen the career you want to pursue, there is a series of specific steps you should take to achieve your goal. There are also tax credits and grants to help subsidize the cost of getting there. Here’s the procedure.

To Complete an Apprenticeship You Must:

  • Find an appropriate sponsor
  • Register as an apprentice
  • Achieve and record the required workplace experience
  • Attend technical training
  • Sign-Off – You need a recommendation for Certification by your sponsor or appropriate authority, indicating that you have achieved all the requirements and are performing at the required skill level.

Find an Appropriate Sponsor (Click to expand)


This is your responsibility, but there are resources to help you. If you are currently employed as a cook, baker or meatcutter ask your current employer if they would consider sponsoring you. If they are interested or need more information, Sponsoring an Apprentice has detailed information on the process of being a sponsor and the benefits.

If you are not currently employed, or your current employer does not have the ability to sponsor you, check with the secondary or post-secondary culinary arts schools in your area, local businesses you would like to work at, or tap into your personal networks of friends and family to see if they know any employers that have apprentices, or are Red Seal/tradespersons that can sponsor you. Check the go2HR Job Board for job openings in your trade, and our website for stories and profiles on best practices by sponsors. If you have tried all these options, please contact go2HR to see if we can help.

Your sponsor's role will be to:

Ensure you receive training and practical experience, covering the scope of your industry training program, under the supervision of someone who is either a Red Seal, certified tradesperson or has ITA recognized supervision and sign off authority.

Enable you as an apprentice to attend the required technical training (4 to 6 weeks per level or credential).

Submit your workplace hours regularly to ITA.

Recommend certification when you have met all the completion requirements for the industry training program you’re registered in.


Register as an Apprentice (Click to expand)


Through a school: make sure that your school is registered with the Industry Training Authority (ITA) as a Designated Training Provider. This way you receive credit toward apprenticeship for training, and workplace hours if applicable.

Through your employer: does your employer have someone with either a Red Seal, certified tradesperson or ITA recognized Supervision and Sign-off Authority on-site or available to mentor you? Are they committed to allowing you time to go to school (4-6 weeks), recording your workplace hours, and signing your Recommendation for Certification. If having an apprenticeship is important to you then these are essential questions to ask.

Registration Process: either through a school or employer, the first time you register as an apprentice you and your sponsor will complete the Apprentice and Sponsor Registration form and register your apprenticeship with ITA.

Additional resources:

How to Register an Apprentice


Achieve/Record the Required Workplace Experience (Click to expand)


Having your sponsor record your hours of work experience to ITA is an important step in completing the requirements to achieve certification. You can take a proactive role in this process by keeping track of the hours you work performing the required skills, and encouraging your sponsor to submit them on a regular basis, with every four to six months as a good average.

Your sponsor can enter hours directly into ITA’s Direct Access database or submit the Work Based Training Report by fax or email.

Note: each level or certification of apprenticeship has a required number of work experience hours, once you have achieved those it is recommended that additional hours are not recorded until you are working at the next level of skills. This keeps your experience current with the level of training you are enrolled in.

Credit for Past Work Experience: as a registered apprentice your current sponsor can recognize and record with ITA your previous relevant work experience. Your past experience is not required to have been as an apprentice or with a Red Seal cook. It is your sponsor’s decision on how many hours of your previous work experience they will recognize. This is based on the scope of your past work experience and depth of knowledge required. Your sponsor can enter the hours in ITA Direct Access or submit a Work Based Training report.


Attend Technical Training (Click to expand)


Training Providers:

Secondary Schools
Please contact your local high school to see if they, or within your district at another high school, offer the Professional Cook training program, or partner with a post-secondary institution to offer baking and meatcutting as part of ACE-IT (Accelerated Credit Enrolment to Industry Training). If a program is not available in your area and you are working in industry as a cook, baker, or meatcutter you may be able to sign-up as a Secondary School Apprentice (SSA). Please check with your career advisor at school.

Post-Secondary Schools
Across BC there are a variety of both ITA designated private and public post-secondary schools that offer apprenticeship technical training. Please go to www.tradestrainingbc.ca for course details and schedules.

For more information on the knowledge required, please refer to the detailed information in the Program Profile and Program Outline for the following occupations:

Written Exams:

The passing mark for all provincial level, Certificate of Qualification (C of Q), and national Red Seal (IP) exams is 70 per cent.

Apprentices: if you have successfully achieved your technical training, you will normally write your exam at the end of the class.

Challengers: when you are approved to challenge either ITA will schedule your exam or you will schedule it with ITA when you are ready to write. There are a variety of Service BC Centre’s around the province you can write at, or the ITA designated location in the lower mainland.

For details on the exams, such as the number of questions and topics, please visit the Programs section of our website.

Additional information on preparing to write, where to write, and what to do if you are unsuccessful is found on the Exam section of the ITA website.

Practical Assessment:

Some programs have additional types of assessment besides written exams.

For additional information please refer to Cook Practical Assessment Information Package and How to Challenge Tidal Angling Guide.


Sign-Off – Recommendation for Certification (Click to expand)


After successfully achieving your technical training, written exam, practical assessment (if required), and mandatory work experience hours, your sponsor will receive a Recommendation for Certification (RFC). Once the RFC is signed by your sponsor, with their ITA designated credential, and submitted to ITA you will be recorded as certified. Both a Certificate of Apprenticeship and Certificate of Qualification will be sent to your sponsor to present to you.

Note: The RFC is not something that is automatically signed when you achieve your technical training. If your sponsor feels you need a bit more time before you can perform particular skills at the level required on-the-job, they can delay signing your RFC until you achieve the level of proficiency required. Your sponsor will need to explain the reason why they are not signing, give clear guidance on the areas that need to be achieved, and a timeline for achievement.


Tax Credits and Grants (Click to expand)


As an apprentice you are eligible for a Federal Incentive Grant when you achieve the first two levels of your apprenticeship, and a Federal Completion Grant when you achieve your Red Seal. There is also a provincial training tax credit available, until December 2014, when you either achieve the highest level of a non-Red Seal trade and earn a Certificate of Qualification, or achieve a Red Seal. The BC and Federal Tax Credit and Grant Guide will provide you with detailed information and links to tax credit and grant information.


Additional Forms/Information (Click to expand)


If you are away working, or need assistance in managing the required apprenticeship paperwork, both of these authorization forms may help. For the ITA to discuss and/or release specific information about your apprenticeship or to allow your parents, legal guardians and/or spouses and partners to update your contact information, you will need to give written consent by completing:

Authorization to Allow a 3rd Party to Update Personal Information


This article may be republished for non-commercial purposes subject to the provisions of the Website Use Agreement. To republish this article, you must include the following notice along with the article: "Copyright © 2016 go2 Tourism HR Society. All Rights Reserved. Republished under license."