About the Region
The VCM region expands outwards from Metro Vancouver along three main arteries: the Sunshine Coast, the Sea-to-Sky Corridor, as well as the Fraser Valley and Fraser Canyon, which are both anchored by the Fraser River. It connects to the Gold Rush Trail up the Fraser Canyon and to the Highway 3 Corridor through Hope and Manning Park. The region is home to the internationally-renowned destinations of Vancouver and Whistler; rich agricultural areas like the Fraser Valley and Pemberton; and small villages, towns and rural areas, such as the Bridge River Valley, Bowen Island, and Desolation Sound.
VCM Labour Market Tactical Action Plan
To support tourism and hospitality industry recovery in the Vancouver, Coast & Mountains (VCM) region, Destination BC commissioned go2HR to develop a Labour Market Tactical Action Plan to address immediate and short terms needs of VCM tourism and hospitality businesses as they moved through the winter and prepared for the 2021 summer season and beyond. A series of actions identified in the Plan will be rolled out as VCM and go2HR continue to work together to support the region. The initiative will be led by Cindy Conti, HR Consultant for the VCM region. Get in contact with Cindy through email, email@example.com.
Whether you are planning for staffing, managing employee performance, or looking for an employee handbook template, the VCM Region HR Toolkit provides Tourism & Hospitality Employers with access to free HR best practices and resources to help recruit, retain and manage employees. You can download and edit various forms, checklists, and templates to suit your business needs.
6 Questions every job posting should answer
Wondering how to write a job posting that will attract qualified applicants? Here are 6 tips!
Webinar – Recruiting and Hiring International Workers in the Age of COVID (May 5)
- Overview and updates on requirements for federal and provincial immigration programs
- Overview of how the requirements may impact tourism and hospitality employers as they prepare to recruit internationally
- Practical tips, insights and resources to help navigate international recruitment processes
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
- BC Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP)
- Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
- Melody McLorie, Certified Immigration Consultant and HR Manager Wickaninnish Inn
- Katie Von Nostrand, Partner in the Vancouver office of Mathews Dinsdale & Clark LLP
Summary of Foreign Worker Programs
As we move past the COVID-19 pandemic, international recruitment will once again be an important source of workers for employers as ongoing shortages of skilled domestic labour will continue.
This summary of Foreign Worker Programs provides an at-a-glance overview and resource links for foreign worker programs that VCM employers may want to consider tapping into – Temporary foreign workers, Working Holiday permit holders, International Students and Graduates, French-speaking Nationals and more!
go2HR Job Board
Don’t forget to post your jobs onto the go2HR Job Board:
- It’s FREE and only for BC’s tourism and hospitality industry
- It receives close to 40,000 monthly visits from qualified candidates looking for frontline, supervisory, management and executive positions
- It’s promoted to local students and job seekers at presentations as well as job and career fairs
- It reaches close to 30,000 job seekers through our monthly e-newsletter and social media
Talent match – Student Recruitment
Have you thought about hiring a student? Student talent can bring fresh skills to your organization, help you pivot digitally, and increase capacity—they can help your organization recover and innovate! But if maneuvering the post-secondary system is daunting or you lack the funds to hire a new team member… good news!
Talent MATCH is a new program that will help you navigate the whole process with a focus on the needs of Museums, Arts, Tourism, Culture, and Hospitality (MATCH) organizations. Talent MATCH can:
- identify funding sources;
- connect you with post-secondary programs; and,
- help you recruit and onboard remote students so your organization can recover, innovate, and grow.
BSAFE is a new online health and safety training program designed to ensure foundational health and safety knowledge in BC’s tourism and hospitality businesses to keep everyone safe as we move through the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Delivery: Online
- Duration: 60-90 minutes
- Cost: FREE – This program is supported by the Province of BC
Employers who have 75% of their workforce successfully complete the training course, will be recognized with a “BSAFE trained” certificate. They can use this certificate to demonstrate your commitment to providing a safe environment for workers and guests, thereby increasing consumer confidence. Congratulations to the BSAFE trained businesses in the VCM region!
The SuperHost suite of courses brings relevant, up-to-date customer service training to front-line staff in every industry at an affordable price. Delivered online and in the classroom, SuperHost equips customer service employees with the practical skills and knowledge they need to meet and exceed their customers’ expectations. Since its launch in 1985, SuperHost has become the gold standard for customer service excellence in BC.
Additional training for VCM employers coming soon!
If you are looking for training that you don’t see listed here or in the Train & Develop section of the go2HR website, please contact us and we can assist.
Whether you are a large or small business, a strong commitment to safety sets you apart as an employer of choice and inspires confidence from your current and future employees.
Participation in the Certificate of Recognition (COR) Program – an occupational health and safety audit and certification program – offers many benefits, including financial incentives from WorkSafeBC, improvement on employee morale and productivity, thus building a positive corporate image.
To get started, check out the Resource Library to download customizable tools and checklists for your health & safety program. If you have any questions, reach out to your regional Industry Health and Safety Manager, Stephanie Mallalieu, who can provide you with one-on-one assistance in your program. Contact Stephanie at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 604-633-9787 ext. 220.
HR News and EventsSEE ALL HR NEWS SEE ALL Events IN THIS REGION
FOR JOB SEEKERS
Work in BC’s metropolitan area where you can:
- Welcome guests to a world-class hotel.
- Learn to create international culinary creations with fresh, local produce.
- Develop lasting friendships working at an exciting ski resort in the winter, or outdoor adventure park in the summer.
- Promote the area while driving an interactive tour bus or leading an ethnic food or micro-brewery tour.
- Celebrate with the locals while coordinating small street festivals or large music events.
Tourism Only Job Board
Hundreds of employers in the Vancouver, Coast & Mountains region have posted jobs on our free tourism job board, looking to hire a wide variety of positions in all tourism sectors, from front-line to supervisory to executive level. Here are the latest jobs in the region:
LATEST JOBS IN THE Vancouver, Coast & Mountains REGION
|Job Title:||Company:||Location:||Date Posted:|
|Business Travel Sales Manager||Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre||Vancouver||May 24, 2022|
|House Person - Housekeeping Nights and Graveyard||Hilton Vancouver Downtown Hotel||Vancouver||May 24, 2022|
|Steward||The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver||Vancouver||May 23, 2022|
|Houseperson - Facilities Attendant||Delta Hotels by Marriott Vancouver Downtown Suites||Vancouver||May 23, 2022|
|Chef De Partie||Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle Downtown Hotel||Vancouver||May 23, 2022|
- Abbotsford Chamber of Commerce
- Hope Cascades & Canyon/Advantage Hope
- North Shore Tourism
- Sunshine Coast Tourism
- Tourism Chilliwack
- Tourism Richmond
- Tourism Vancouver
- Tourism Whistler
- Sunshine Coast Tourism
- Whistler Chamber
Engage with go2HR
- For Employers (recruitment, retention, managing staff, training & development, health & safety)
- For Industry Stakeholders (go2HR organization updates, strategy, partnership, collaboration)
- For Job Seekers (tourism careers)
Get social with us!