A ferry boat captain operates ferries, transporting passengers and cargo on a set path between two or more docks in coastal and inland waters. They maintain a schedule, oversee loading and unloading procedures on the ship and supervise and co-ordinate the activities of deck crews. Employment could be through a marine transport company or the federal government.
Information provided by Discover Tourism.
- Command and operate ferry boats
- Determine geographic positioning
- Execute safe navigational passage
- Maintain navigational instruments and equipment
- Direct activity of deck crew
- Direct and supervise loading and unloading of vehicles and foot passengers
- Be prepared to handle emergency situations
- Keep ship’s log monitor other vessels along route
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Concentration and focus
- Technical aptitude
- Good judgment and problem-solving skills
- Good communication skills
- Leadership qualities
- An ability to work as an effective team member
- Good health, hearing and vision
- Proven navigational skills
- Time management skills
- Emergency/disaster management skills.
- Secondary school diploma
- Transport Canada Deck Officer Certificate, or one to three years experience on a deck crew.
Possible Future Career Paths
- Ferry Boat Master
- Ship’s Captain
- Owner/Operator of a marine transport company
The leading free job board for tourism and hospitality jobs in BC. From front line customer service to culinary/trades/technical to senior executive positions, BC’s vibrant tourism and hospitality industry offers a variety of occupations. Whatever your career goals are, the go2HR Job board can help get you there.View Our Job Board