Welcome to the Mental Health at Work page
This is where you’ll find information about supporting the psychological health and safety of your employees in the tourism & hospitality industry. Check back regularly as we update the page.
go2HR is proud to have partnered with the Canadian Mental Health
Association - BC Division (CMHA BC)
Together, we’re providing a range of industry-specific mental health supports, resources and training for front line employees, supervisors, managers and senior leaders.
Discover Mental Health Resources
Workplace Learning Coaches for Psychological Health & Safety (aka Your Mental Health Concierges)
Funded by a grant from the Ministry of Mental Health and Addictions, our go2HR Workplace Learning Coaches are knowledgeable, experienced industry professionals with a wealth of lived experiences who have been rigorously trained to support employees and employers across BC.
Our coaches work directly with employers to establish a foundation of psychological safety in the workplace, described by author William A. Kahn as, “being able to show and employ one’s self without fear of negative consequences of self-image, status or career.”
About Our Coaches
- Available at no cost
- Offer personalized, one-on-one meetings to provide mental health guidance and resources
- Are not counsellors, however can help direct individuals and organizations to appropriate resources
- Offer mental health presentations for industry-related associations and organizations
- Can help address a range of mental health concerns and challenges in the workplace, including but not limited to stress, burnout, substance use, anxiety, depression, disordered eating
Meet Our Coaches
Workplace Learning Coach – Psychological Health & Safety Located in Vancouver, BC
Workplace Learning Coach – Psychological Health & Safety Located in Kelowna, BC
Training for Workplace CARE (Compassionate & Respectful Employee/er) Certificate
Explore FREE, industry-focused mental health training for the tourism & hospitality industry, including:
- 3 online, self -placed courses
- Direct access to a Workplace Learning Coach
- Practical information and resources
- Monitored/interactive online forums
Workplace CARE Certificate- Level 1
Offered through our partnership with the Canadian Mental Health Association of BC (CMHA BC), this course will help start the conversation around workplace mental health, how it can fluctuate over time and addresses challenges such as anxiety, depression, disordered eating and substance use. Free, online, and self-paced. This course takes approx. 3 hours to complete.
Level 1 is for front line employees, supervisors and managers.
- Identify when a person may be a danger to themselves or others
- Recognize the signs of mental health challenges and provide help to prevent or avoid crises
- Provide comfort to someone having challenges with their mental health and support them in recovery
- Guide a person toward appropriate professional help
- Improve your own mental health
- Support the creation of a psychologically safe workplace
Workplace CARE Certificate- Level 2
Offered through our partnership with the CMHA BC, this course focuses on helping supervisors and managers understand how to provide mental health support for their employees. The course explores the roles of helpers, communication and trust as well as addresses implicit cultures and health boundary setting within psychologically safe and health workplaces. Free, online, and self-paced. This course takes approx. 3-5 hours to complete.
Level 2 is for leaders (supervisors, managers, business owners, HR & OHS professionals)
- Identify your role in promoting a psychologically safe and healthy workplace culture
- Notice and support employees who may be struggling
- Understand resources available for your own health and for your loved ones
Workplace CARE Certificate- Level 3
Offered through our partnership with the CMHA BC, this course has been designed to support senior tourism or hospitality employers and strategic leaders to take practical steps toward building their own psychologically safe and healthy workplace. Free, blended delivery (online, self-paced modules and 2, 1-hour virtual classes). This course takes approx. 10 hours to complete.
Level 3 is for senior leaders (Employers, General Managers, Directors, VPs, HR & OHS professionals).
- Understand the National Standard of Canada for Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace (“the Standard”)
- Identify your organization’s strengths and areas for improvement, in alignment with the Standard’s 13 psychosocial factors
- With support, develop elements of a practical take-away plan to advance your progress toward building a psychologically safe and healthy workplace through implementing the Standard
- Identify the resources you will need to complete, activate, and evaluate your overall strategy
- Connect with a go2HR Workplace Learning Coach for additional assistance
BC’s Hub for Workplace Mental Health for the Tourism & Hospitality Industry
Explore our online portal website offering industry-specific mental health information, resources, training, a community network and other resources for employees and employers.
More Mental Health Resources & Helpful Links
Mental Health Resource Library
Our Resource library has you covered with in-depth information about Health & Safety, Human Resources, Training, Research, Strategy, and more.View All Resources