A freshwater angling guide is an outdoor adventure guide who organizes and conducts fishing expeditions. They can either operate their own small businesses or work for adventure tourism companies, resorts, parks, lodges or campgrounds. They might take clients for a day trip or for longer expeditions.
Information provided by Discover Tourism.
- Guide clients to designated areas
- Create positive client relations
- Assemble necessary equipment and supplies
- Set up and break camp
- Prepare and/or serve meals
- Instruct and demonstrate fishing skills and techniques
- Respect and maintain environment
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Fishing experience and knowledge
- Knowledge of the terrain, environment and local area in which the guide is to travel and fish
- Physical ability
- Ability to get along and work well with others
- Organizational and leadership skills
- Excellent communication and instruction skills
- Knowledge of outdoor cooking skills is desired
- Customer relations skills
- Equipment maintenance and repair skills
- Knowledge of relevant laws, safety and emergency procedures
- Secondary school diploma is usually preferred
- Standard first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) are usually required.
- National Occupational Certification as a Freshwater Angling Guide is an asset.
Possible Future Career Paths
- Owner/Operator of small business
The leading free job board for tourism and hospitality jobs in BC. From front line customer service to culinary/trades/technical to senior executive positions, BC’s vibrant tourism and hospitality industry offers a variety of occupations. Whatever your career goals are, the go2HR Job board can help get you there.View Our Job Board