March 28, 2023
Training and education should begin with orientation. An effective safety orientation allows you to communicate:
- The philosophy of management or owners
- Safety rules and regulations
- The ways and means of developing good, productive and safe work habits
Following orientation, training should continue through the entire period of employment. Training requirements are described in various sections of the Regulation. One key area is section 3.23, Young and New Worker Orientation and Training.
You must ensure that all workers are trained in safe work practices and that they are properly supervised on an ongoing basis.
Health and safety orientation
You or your supervisors are required to provide safety orientation to new workers or existing workers who are moving to a new position or a new worksite. Safety orientation may include many topics, but the following must be covered:
- The rights and responsibilities of workers, supervisors, and employers
- Hazards in the workplace, and steps that have been taken to reduce the risks
- Safe work procedures
Job-specific safety training
This means providing your workers with the hands-on training they need before starting a job. You need to make sure they can:
- Do their work activities safely.
- Use equipment and machinery safely.
- Wear and care for all required personal protective equipment (PPE).
You need to make sure that your workers are properly supervised and that they receive ongoing training. This means ensuring that all workers continue to:
- Follow safe work practices.
- Use PPE and other safety equipment according to their training.
- Report unsafe practices and conditions in the workplace.
You also need to keep records of orientation, training, and supervision for each of your workers. And you need to train your supervisors in their responsibilities before they step into their supervisory roles.
For more information
- 3 Steps to Effective Worker Education and Training (WorkSafeBC)
- Sample Young or New Worker Orientation Checklist (WorkSafeBC)
- Employee Training Record (for individual workers; go2HR)
- Training Records (for multiple workers; go2HR)
- Supervisor Series (WorkSafeBC)
- Foundations of Workplace Safety Course (go2HR)