X Close


Sign up for go2HR's e-newsletters and receive job information and employer resources related to BC’s tourism and hospitality industry!

Print Print Print Print Print

Frequently Asked Questions

Serving It Right is now a condition of employment. What does this mean?

Those required by law to have Serving It Right must hold a certificate in order to work and in order to avoid any potential fine to the employer. Whereas the original program offered a 120 day grace period for applicants to complete the course from their date of registration, the Serving It Right program introduced in 2007 does not.

Licensees who operate without a Serving It Right certificate can be subjected to the allotted liquor infraction fines as outlined in the Liquor Control and Licensing Act and Regulation.

I took a program like Serving It Right in another province or territory. Do I have to take the BC version to work here?

It is always best practice to complete the course if you are working in BC. However, servers who relocate from other Canadian jurisdictions and have a certificate showing proof of completion of a recognized beverage training program are not required by law to complete Serving It Right to work as a server in BC. Servers from other jurisdictions who take on management responsibilities or become a licensee are required to obtain a BC Serving It Right certificate.

Licensees and managers from other Canadian jurisdictions who take employment in BC require the BC Serving It Right program prior to beginning employment, as a condition of licensing.

Where can I take the Serving It Right program?

Certification is obtained by taking the course and passing an exam.


The course can be taken online at www.servingitright.com. It is convenient and offers quizzes and demonstration videos to help you learn the materials. You receive your test results instantly and can print out your SIR certificate immediately after passing the online exam. Visa, MasterCard, Interc Online and PayPal are accepted methods of payment. At this time we do not accept Visa Debit for purchase of Serving It Right.

Print Version

You may complete the Serving It Right program by obtaining the print version of the Serving It Right course materials (course manual, registration form and exam). These materials are available at government liquor stores, government agents' offices or by ordering them directly from go2HR. The exam and course fee must be submitted to go2HR. Cheque, money order, Visa, and MasterCard are accepted. Cash and debit are accepted only for payments made directly at the go2HR office. The certificate will be mailed to you within about 2 weeks of successfully passing the exam.

How much does the program cost?

Course materials are free whether you register online or choose to study from the print manual. Payment is required to write the exam. The cost for the online exam is $35.00. The cost to take the exam via the print option is $40.00, which includes a plastic certificate card.

Is the course fee the same if it is included in a hospitality program offered by a college, through continuing education, or any other delivery agency?

Yes. Although educational programs may incorporate the Serving It Right fee with tuition, there are no arrangements for reduced course fees for any delivery agency. The fee is the same throughout the province.

How long is the exam?

The exam consists of 30 multiple choice questions. Applicants must answer 24 of 30 questions (80%) correctly to pass the exam.

Do several versions of the exam exist?

Yes. Online exams are generated randomly each time. Multiple exam versions exist for the print manual version of the exam.

What if I fail the exam?

You may re-take the exam for a nominal fee of $10.

Does my SIR Certificate Expire?

Yes, as of September 15, 2015 all Serving It Right certificates will have an expiry date 5 years from the date of completion. The expiry date will be printed on the certificate. All Serving It Right certificates issued before September 15, 2015 will expire September 15, 2020.

I lost my card. How do I get a new one?

You may log onto the Serving It Right website and choose to print your own certificate at no cost, or order a plastic card through go2HR for $5.00. If you are unable to log in, please contact us.

Is Serving It Right enough training for people involved with responsible beverage service?

Serving It Right is the best start, legally and professionally, towards gaining knowledge and developing skills in the area of responsible beverage service. The program covers relevant topics required to reduce the risks of impairment, however, a solid, on going plan is needed for all alcohol providers to continually educate staff and build their confidence in effectively dealing with the issue. See Responsible Beverage Service for more about developing a responsible beverage service program at your business.

This article may be republished for non-commercial purposes subject to the provisions of the Website Use Agreement. To republish this article, you must include the following notice along with the article: "Copyright © 2018 go2 Tourism HR Society. All Rights Reserved. Republished under license."