FOODSAFE is British Columbia’s food safety, handling and sanitation training. The Level 1 program equips foodservice workers with the knowledge and skills to apply proper food handling and preparation techniques and to follow appropriate safety measures to prevent food-borne illness. The FOODSAFE Level 1 by Distance Education is the only learning option that doesn’t require internet access or classroom attendance, and exams are available in ten languages.
FOODSAFE by Distance Education is ideal for:
- Employers who want to train new staff with a flexible schedule
- Teachers supporting a group of students with different learning styles
- Individuals who want to learn at their own pace
- Individuals with diverse abilities
- Individuals for whom English is a second language (our exams are available in Arabic, Chinese, English, Farsi, French, Japanese, Korean, Punjabi, Spanish, and Tagalog)
- Individuals who live in remote areas where classroom courses are not available or internet access is limited
Why should you take FOODSAFE Level 1 by Distance Education?
- Flexible: Study at your own pace, during times that work for you.
- Accessible: Register, self-study independently with a workbook and DVD, and take the exam locally. No online participation or classroom attendance is required.
- Efficient: Certification is possible within two weeks of registering.
- Affordable: The cost of the distance education version is competitive with the classroom and online options.
- Customer Service: The go2HR customer service team is available to help with any questions regarding registration or obtaining your certification.
- It’s the Law: Foodservice establishments are legally required for at least one staff member to hold a valid FOODSAFE certification at any given time.
- Get Hired: Many hospitality employers require FOODSAFE Level 1 as a condition of employment. FOODSAFE certification makes you work-ready and available for shifts.
The cost of the workbook and DVD is $90.00 + $15.00 shipping & handling + GST, which also includes the exam and certificate. Exams are available in Arabic, Chinese, English, Farsi, French, Japanese, Korean, Punjabi, Spanish, and Tagalog. Please contact go2HR for further information.
Companies registering more than one employee should contact go2HR for the workbook only option ($75.00 + $15.00 shipping & handling + GST) as well as combined shipping and handling costs.
The course must be completed within 6 months of registration. Students may request a 2-month extension subject to a $25.00 fee; otherwise re-registration at full course fee will apply.
FOODSAFE Level 1 certificates issued in BC have a five-year expiry date. Upon expiration, individuals must take a three-hour online refresher course, available only through Open School BC, and achieve a grade of 80% in the exam in order to be re-certified. FOODSAFE certificates issued before July 29, 2013 expired on July 29, 2018.
Follow these 4 Easy Steps:
1. Submit your registration form and payment to go2HR. You will then receive the following:
- FOODSAFE Distance Education Workbook
- Course DVD (if ordered)
- Invigilator Request Form
2. Submit the completed Invigilator Request Form, and study at your own pace. You have six months to study the material before you must take the final exam.
3. Write your exam. It is a closed book exam with multiple choice questions.
4. Receive your certification! A passing grade of 70% is required for certification. It can take up to 4-6 weeks before you receive the certificate from the Health Authority.
If the course materials are unopened and received back at go2HR within 30 days: full refund of course cost, excluding shipping & handling.
If the course materials are opened and received back at go2HR within 30 days: 50% refund of course cost, excluding shipping & handling.
FOODSAFE was developed cooperatively by government, business, health, safety and education officials in BC. The FOODSAFE partners include:
- Ministry of Health Services
- BC Centre for Disease Control
- Fraser, Interior, Northern, Vancouver Coastal, and Vancouver Island Health Authorities